Career Strategies for a Lifetime of Success (PDF)
This series, Career Strategies for a Lifetime of Success, has been written to help individuals proactively manage their own careers, not just during times of unemployment but throughout their entire life span.
The book includes the following modules, which can also be purchased as individual PDF e-books:
1. Time to Reflect: Understanding Yourself – This section provides tips and tools to facilitate taking a comprehensive look at both internal and external influences on career success and job satisfaction. Topics include personal characteristics, contextual influences, and the skills most sought after by employers.
2. Time to Explore: Understanding the Workplace – This section explores changes in the workplace and equips readers to research economic trends, investigate new ways of working, uncover career possibilities, and examine corporate culture.
3. Time to Choose: Identifying Career Possibilities – The focus of this section is on identifying specific career goals, and then developing and implementing a plan to achieve them. Topics include goal-setting, decision-making, prioritizing, and managing expectations.
4. Time to Prepare: Developing Portfolios, Resumes, and Interview Skills – This section provides tips and strategies for building a toolkit of job search resources. Topics include developing career portfolios; writing compelling letters, emails, and targeted resumes; and preparing for a wide range of job interviews and contract negotiations.
5. Time for Action: Successful Marketing Strategies – The focus of this section is on creating new career opportunities and ensuring that others see you as the right person for the job. Topics include networking, creative ways to get started with the organization you’ve chosen, and customizing your presentation to suit the position.
6. Time to Look ahead: Proactive Career Management – This section highlights the importance of constantly managing your career and life, not just in times of crisis. Topics include school-to-work and retirement transitions; lifestyle expectations; managing time and money; lifelong learning; self-employment; keeping a job and moving ahead; accessing mentors, coaches and allies; and the new realities of international and global careers.